16 Ways to be a #GreenBuckeye this School Year
August 18, 2017
Welcome back! Between moving in and beginning classes, there is a lot of information to remember! We made a list of sustainable practices for you to make your lives easier.
- Practice proper recycling. Improper recycling can prevent some batches from being accepted at the recycling facility. Proper recycling helps Ohio State’s rank in Recyclemania and gets us closer to our goal of achieving zero waste by 2025.
- Join a student organization! We have a list of sustainability organizations here, and you can find a sustainability connection in many organizations! Students can explore student organizations at the Student Involvement Fair.
- Join the clean plate club! Only take as much as you can eat at dining halls! According to the UN, roughly 1/3 of all food is wasted annually. If food wastage were a country, it would be the third largest greenhouse gas-emitting country.
- Become familiar with sustainability campus organizations- Energy Services and Sustainability, Office of Energy and the Environment, and Energy Management and Sustainability (Green Buckeyes)!
- Pay it forward and volunteer around Columbus! There are many ways to do this, including joining a service organization or getting involved with Pay It Forward OSU
- Borrow, rent, or buy used textbooks for the semester. Return, sell, or donate when you’re done! Alternatively, buy a digital copy of your required textbook.
- Buy local! Farmer’s markets, thrift stores, locally sourced restaurants, etc.! Ohio State is working hard to reach its Sustainability goal of 40% of food served being sustainable and locally sourced.
- Use sustainable transportation! There are plenty of options, including the CABS and COTA buses, Ohio State Bike Share, or walking!
- Donate! There are plenty of thrift stores in Columbus and donation drives on campus including Buckeye Clothes Out at the end of fall semester and Dump & Run at the end of spring semester.
- Use a reusable water bottle/cup/mug. If you live on campus, you will receive a MYCup, which covers all of the bases here and awards savings with 10 pre-loaded free drinks! In addition, the Cupanion App allows 1 free coffee for every 9 coffees purchased. Additionally, anyone that brings a reusable container can get it filled with coffee for the price of a small!
- Invest in reusable eating utensils AND use them often. Plastic utensils are NOT recyclable at Ohio State.
- Break up with the bag and use reusable bags for all shopping trips.
- Turn off your lights and adjust heating/cooling before you leave, whether it be for class or for break! In the winter, turn down the thermostat when you’re out. For warm weather, turn up the thermostat.
- Be a clean Green Buckeye. Use cold water for laundry and wash full loads to save energy! Remember to recycle your detergent bottle when you are finished!
- Take shorter showers. Every two minutes shaved off of your shower time saves over 10 gallons of water! Being able to sleep longer is another benefit!
- Educate yourself and others! You can take an introductory class with a sustainability topic, explore majors in the School of Environment and Natural Resources or follow us on twitter and Facebook @greenbuckeyes and visit our website at greenbuckeyes.osu.edu for sustainability tips and information.